Sunday, June 17, 2012

How can you forget your age?

I have come to terms with how old  I will be this year. It took me two days of crying every time I thought about it, once I was out of shock to realize this won't be so bad. I guess the alternative is not to have a birthday, right? WRONG.

I have a little grandson that was born on my birthday - (good job Kat) we finally celebrated our birthdays together last summer. I was  - um - 53 and he was 3. OK so far. I had a great year, my book was being published, we signed the contract with the publisher, the grand kids were here, things looked good.

Then I saw a sign...not a sign from heaven, not a sign from the great beyond, just a sign that said if you were born in 1957 you would be 55. I busted out laughing. How could they print something like that? Obviously they need a calculator. Then I called my sister. She laughed so hard, tears ran down her leg. OK, she can be wrong. I called my brother. He said I would be in a time warp if I was going to be 54. We are 18 months apart. He laughed also. Now I ask you, is this funny????? What is wrong with everyone? Then I confronted my husband as he was in the shower and he nearly choked on his shampoo. 

It seems that I have been 53 for two years in a row. I immediately burst into tears and cried for 2 days. How can I possibly be this old and not feel like it on the inside? Then there was the bad day for the book signing...I was depressed for a week.

Now I have decided to except the inevitable. After all I have no choice. I seriously considered major sedation for that big day, but now we are going to have a party instead. A murder mystery party and I am writing the saga. I have to get this frustration out somehow and legally.

In this new chapter I am going to do everything I want to do. I am going to paint and write and drink wine and be a MomMo. I am going to publish lots of books and be an eccentric old lady. 
When I am old I shall wear purple....might as well, I already have a purple truck!

No comments: